Tuesday, September 14, 2021

How to Relax Before and After Surgery?


Relaxing before a surgical procedure is an anxious and nervous time no matter what the procedure is about. It might be difficult to relax especially without taking natural herbs. It is not recommended to take natural herbs before surgery because most herbs are blood thinners or it interacts with anesthesia. Therefore, learning to relax might be complicated at first. However, trying to relax will help you get some sleep before having your surgery. 

Not all relaxation techniques might work at first. Yet, by making an effort you will feel relaxed and think positively before your surgery. First, do breathing exercises and do some affirmations. For example, you can say, " My surgery will be successful." Another affirmation can be the following, " I will feel so much better after my surgery." 

Besides doing positive affirmations, do guided meditations a few days before surgery. It will help calm you before going to sleep. Read a book, color in an adult book, or simply watch something funny on television to keep your mind busy. Keep your mind busy with different thoughts other than surgery to prevent you from being afraid. Listen to music the night before surgery. 

Also, research your surgical procedure and health condition before the surgery. Always consult with your doctor before taking any herbs, fish oil, spices, or medications. If possible keep your meals simple such as cooking your meat or chicken in water. Add a salad, vegetables with iron, or plain lentils to your meat or chicken. Do not use garlic, turmeric, curry, ginger, mint, citrus fruits, pepper,  and other spices in your meals before surgery. 

Also, read all the ingredients and labels from your can food, frozen food, and broths. After surgery, you will feel a little bit more relaxed. Continue to do positive affirmations, walk, and do breathing exercises. Take things slowly and follow the instructions from your doctor, surgeon, and nurses. Here is a list of positive affirmations before and after surgery. 

1. My surgery will be successful. 

2. I will have a speedy recovery and will feel better. 

3. I am courageous and will get through this with flying colors. 

4. I'm brave and will feel great after surgery. 

5. My body and brain are in harmony. 

6. My body will heal and I will be beautiful. 

7. My body might have scars but it is gorgeous to me. 

8. I'm relaxed before surgery and will be relaxed after surgery. 

9. I am strong and I trust my surgeon. 

10. My surgeon will heal me and my body will repair itself as I recover back to health. 

You can write down your affirmations in a notebook a few days before surgery. Additionally, you can write down your affirmations after surgery. Nevertheless, these are just suggestions. If none of these techniques work, consult with your psychologist, surgeon, or doctor a few weeks before surgery. Here are some links to help you feel less anxious before surgery.  

Understanding and Dealing with a Fear of Surgery:

https://www.verywellhealth.com/understanding-and-dealing-with-a-fear-of-surgery-3157204

Positive Affirmations Before Surgery:

https://optimistminds.com/positive-affirmations-before-surgery/

Audio Library- Surgery Prep and Recovery:

https://www.healthjourneys.com/audio-library/surgery-prep-recovery



* Free fonts, borders, and artwork made in PiZap

1 comment:

  1. No matter what a surgery is for, it is always stressful. You have some great ideas here for helping to relieve some of the anxiety that goes along with that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.