Selfirst Day: Self-Prioritization & Emotional Well-Being
Self-prioritization and emotional well-being are necessary for a balanced and improved mental health, productivity, and creativity. It is not being selfish but rather taking care of oneself for enhanced energy and better relationships. However, it is essential not to feel guilt when one is taking care of oneself. Self-compassion is vital for practicing self-prioritization and for one's emotional well-being. Every year on August 24th is Selfirst Day.
Selfirst Day became a national day by Amy Joy Gilliland, a speech language pathologist. It is a day to do self-care without guilt and with self-gratitude. Plan a self-care day on August 24th and anytime throughout the year. To appreciate your inner qualities and saying thanks to yourself can help you manage your emotions. In addition to self-gratitude, self-reflection and self-love can be practiced with self-care.
Celebrate yourself by appreciating what you do and having boundaries. Make a commitment to follow your boundaries and to get to know yourself. Thinking about yourself first can be helpful for your recovery process from having a surgery, from a traumatic experience, or from other stressful experiences. Practice self-prioritization by keeping a list of boundaries and declining extra demands that make you feel stressed out. Selfirst Day can also be celebrated at work, at home, or at the university.
Listen to your body and your thoughts. If you are feeling stressed out before taking a university test, you can stretch, exercise, or listen to music. Play a word search game, fill in the blanks game, or a crossword puzzle thirty minutes before going to class. Another tip is to divide your self-care activities in categories such as financial, professional, environmental, mental, physical, emotional, social, and spiritual. Also, select one or three activities that reduce your stress and help you to focus on yourself.
Dedicate time for yourself by using less digital items for the entire day. Have items available for your self-care day. As well as having a schedule for forest bathing, walking meditation, or mindful walking, or nature hikes. Encourage yourself to have fun, relax, and to improve your overall wellness. Write positive affirmations to help you focus on yourself.
1. I give myself permission to take a break from studying, cleaning, or organizing.
2. I let go my guilt and recieve peaceful clouds of sunshine.
3. I give myself permission to take a pause to self-reflect, self-gratitude, and self-love.
4. I let go of self-criticism and find joy with self-care activities.
5. I allow showers of love to mist my face as I smile while doing self-care activities.
6. I give permission to let go of guilt, shame, and harsh words and recieve calming words for self-care.
7. I allow the music to remind me to do self-care activities.
8. I give personal time a priority for my self-care.
9. I let go of expectations, assumptions, and overreactions as I take a break from too much work.
10. I give myself permission to take it easy without pressuring myself from completing all my chores in one day.
Nonetheless, taking care of your emotional well-being through self-care can be challenging at times. Do incorporate a self-care routine for sleep, for relaxation, and for managing your stress. Make a vision board with quotes and pictures to remind you to do self-care. Post a positive self-affirmation for the day in your kitchen, living room, or other room to remind you of having a self-care day. Happy Selfirst Day!


Comments
Post a Comment
Thank you for your comment.